Wednesday, July 29, 2009

It's Like Butta, Baby!

The other day Katie asked me how we get butter so I decided that we'd make our own homemade butter so she could learn where butter comes from. We stopped at Genuardi's on our way to Poppy's house and got some special milk (heavy cream) so Maddie could make butter with us too. I think I have tennis elbow from all the shaking required but after it was all finished, I have to say we made some pretty yummy butter. Next up, making bread with Uncle James!

The Secret Ingredient and Supplies
Now for the complicated instructions for making butter...

Taking the whipped cream out of the container
Maddie was having way more fun than Katie!
Put it all back in, give a few more shakes and viola, we have butter!
The liquid around it is buttermilk. Guess I better find a recipe for buttermilk pancakes, :-)
Sampling the goods
Mom, see I made my own butter!
The Finished Product
Butter Fingers
Ryan and Kyra enjoying the butter making, LOL
Katie and Amy

No comments: